Friday, January 1, 2010

Birthday Cards and Cake Balls!


I've been in the mood to make birthday cards! Partly because there are alot of people having birthdays and partly because I'm trying to get organized for the year!

This first card uses the Laura's Sketch 42 from 2S4Y. My sister, Teresa, gave me this quickutz cake die that I've been wanting for a long time for Christmas and I just had to use it! The paper is DCWV and the lace is Fancy Pants. The tag is also a quickutz and I used one of the dollar stamps on it!

I'm going to save this for my mom's birthday in June!


A guy at work had a birthday on the first and I tried my new cricut "Sweet Treats" cartridge to make this birthday cake card. The paper on this is Basic Gray "Cupcake."

I used some stickles to make it "sparklier!"










I had so much fun with this cricut cartridge that I made several different versions using the Basic Gray paper....












And then I used some other paper I had that said Happy Birthday so I didn't cut out the sentiment for the front!












My friend Bonnie's birthday was this last week (although she was in Arizona and won't be back till Sunday) so I found this cool tutorial on Split Coast Stampers for a "flower pot" card. I used birthday paper for the "pot" and then cut out flowers and leaves with my sizzix. These were so fun......










That I made 24! I used the non-birthday ones for thank you's for x-mas presents and little things people gave me at work! Here they all are (picture isn't that great but you can see I was busy!).














I also made these yummy cake balls to take to work this week. They are super easy and look cool! Here is the recipe:




  1. Make a cake (any flavor) from a cake mix in any sort of pan (I used 9 X 13 because it was the easiest).
  2. When the cake is done, crumble it into a large bowl while it is still warm. Stir in a can of frosting mix (any flavor) until well blended.
  3. I then let it set an hour or so to cool down.
  4. Form small balls with the cake mixture (the recipe I found on the internet said to use a melon baller but I found it just as easy to roll in my hands). I then put them on a plate in the freezer for a 1/2 hour or so.
  5. Dip the balls into melted chocolate and place on wax paper to set.
Everyone at work loved them!

6 comments:

Kathy Martin said...

Great cards! Love that cake die cut! Your cake balls look so yummy! Thanks for playing along at 2S4Y! :) Kathy

Anonymous said...

My how you've been busy! :-) Love that lace! :-) Thanks so much for joining us at 2S4Y!

Laura Davis said...

Love it al :) I just got this cart yesterday! Thanks for playing at 2S4Y!
Laura

cnelson said...

so super fun and cute!!!

Scrappin' T said...

Oh my heavens!!!! You are amazing! 24 cards plus the others and cake balls! WOW!!! I love the card with the QK cake -- it turned out really awesome!

Lea L. said...

They are all fabulous....but I am loving that cake cut on the first one! So cute! Great job with Laura's sketch!

♥Lea