Thursday, February 12, 2009

Happy Birthday Oregon, Happy Valentine's Day, and 2 Sketches 4 You!

I had some fun with the sketch this week at 2 Sketches 4 You. My first card is another valentine to sell for the Governor's Food Drive. Patterned paper and journal page are Making Memories. The butterfly is one of those cool new 3-D dies from Quickutz (this one is for the revolution). I'm really liking these! "Kisses" is an imaginisce snag 'em stamp. I used stickles on top of it and to outline the heart.

I've been making so many valentines for the food drive that I have not had time to make any for my family and friends that I usually send them to so I was trying to figure out what to do at such a late time and then while I was looking at the sketch, it came to me!

Valentine's Day is not just Valentine's Day in Oregon! It is also Oregon's Birthday! In fact if you look closely at the state seal on the flag it is in the shape of a heart. And this year is Oregon's 150th birthday. Can you say, sesquicentennial? I'd never heard the word 'till recently. There is going to be a huge party on the Capitol mall on Saturday that is a huge family event and my kids are incredibly excited. Radio Disney is going to be there, a cake that feeds 3,000, and even a "live" gold man (the gold man is on top of our capitol building) among other things! So that is where my card idea comes in! I'm going to take some pictures of the kids at the birthday party and put them in these cards to send to family and friends ~ after all, next year they can get a valentine.

For this card I put the sketch on it's side. I made some back ground paper out of yellow-gold cardstock by typing in "oregon" words in a word processing software. The state shape and the word Oregon are cut using the Cricut 50 shapes. The number candles are 2 X 2 quickutz and happy birthday is a quickutz revolution.

I want to wish everyone a Happy Valentine's Day! I'm also a very proud Oregonian (for 25 years!) and am excited to be celebrating such a big event!

8 comments:

Laura Davis said...

This is beautiful Tami. I love the bright colors:)
Laura

Scrappin' T said...

I love the idea of the birthday card for Oregon! How cool!

And your valentine card is absolutely fabulous! The butterfly and colors are fantastic! Someone will be very, very lucky to get such a beautiful card!

cnelson said...

fabulous cards! love them!!

Nina said...

Very cute.

papertrails leaver said...

Both your cards are fabulous! Love that butterfly on the frst card and the number on the second.

~dawne said...

Love both of your cards & the birthday card is a neat idea...I love those Cricut cuts.

Savitri said...

How pretty! Wow, love it!!

Ewonne said...

Both cards are gorgeous!!!